Re: Basic testing shows 2.3.99-pre9-3 bad, pre9-2 good

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 13:38:57 EST

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Lawrence Manning wrote:

> That's my observation anyway. I did some dd and bonnie tests and got
> abismal results :-( Machine unusable during dd write etc. pre9-2 on the
> other hand is close to being as smooth as, say, 2.3.51. What happened? ;)
>
> P2 400Mhz, 128meg, IDE (dma turned on) etc, etc.
>
> I also should chip in to say that 2.2.15 is abit sick IO wise for me too.

I've found 2.2.15 to be a bit dodgy I/O wise, too. Just moving a big file
from one disk to another (dual Celeron 500, 128Mb RAM, UDMA) caused Tux to
go for a sardine break. The mouse pointer stopped, MP3 playing stopped.
(Occasional bursts of sound and jerks of the mouse, so it wasn't totally
frozen.) Under 2.2.14, this was fine IIRC. (Oddly, the title scrolling
continued smoothly under XMMS, running at "realtime" priority.)

This looks like CPU starvation to me - except why couldn't XMMS read from
disk?

James.