MASQ problem wiht 2.3.45 and Netfilter

From: Sebastian Ip (seb@sc.esf.edu.hk)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 20:35:17 EST

Hello.

This is a problem with one of my friend's machines. He uses a ATM ADSL,
but the problem is the same for a modem dialup,
solution and he is using a Redhat 6.2 box to share access with his family.
( would be nice if you guys can help cause he's about to change back to
windows98 and winroute ;P)

Anyhow the problem is that when he tries to ftp from behind his "firewall"
he gets "invalide ports" error or something. Looking at the logs on our
school server I noticed this: "refused PORT 192.168.8.1,3800 from
dial-up1.nhh.com.hk [202.64.58.156]". Clearly there is some problem where
we are getting his internal address instead of the Masquraded address.
What has really stumped us is that the problem exists in both 2.3 + ADSL
or modem and 2.2 + ADSL and modem. Using similar ipchains rules in 2.2 as
I do he still has this problem. If it also helps people answering this
question using icq 2000 he gets a "rate exceeded" error while icq 98 works
fine.

Thanks guys in advance if you can help. Also he's going to need some help
port forwarding on 2.3 kernel. As i never used a 2.3 kernel could someone
here drop him a line about what util to use and such? Thanks he's email is
tparker@sc.esf.edu.hk .

Thanks guys
Yours
Sebastian Ip