Re: Linux 2.3.99pre9-2 JOB list

From: Mike Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 00:09:36 EST

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> David Weinehall wrote:
> > > To Do
> > > -----
> > > Loopback fs hangs
> >
> > Definitely show-stopper. Almost every distro (if not every) uses Loopback
> > for their installers, and Loopback is used for a lot of other things too.
>
> Are we talking about a loopback filesystem, or the loopback block
> device? Andries' patch for the loopback block device made it into a
> recent 2.3.x kernel.
>

> So, maybe these two items can be crossed off, after testing?

/dev/loop is busted, and not only wrt lockup. I used to be able to
beat on it _hard_ if I prevented plugging. Now, it doesn't seem to
be reading correctly (cpp gripes on simple compile attempt) and disk
io (iozone/bonnie) blows up the kernel quite spectacularly. The last
few entries of the longest (kdb) stack trace I've ever seen goes..
        kernel_thread
        bdflush+0x6d
        flush_dirty_buffers+0x84
        ... ~100 lines of processing loop device requests
        do_try_to_free_pages+0x39
        shrink_mmap+0xa0
        try_to_free_buffers+0x149
        sync_page_buffers+0x2f