Re: possible Linux vm performance problem

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 19:00:01 EST

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Gabor Lenart wrote:

> I often need to archive some of my partitions directly (eg: cat
> /dev/hda1 | gzip >image.gz, or something similar). This command
> forces caching datas a lot. Is it possible to implement an
> algorithm to avoid this ? Since in my case it's no use to cache
> it at all, since it a simple linear access on device. I'm using
> 2.2.15 UP now.

This is a complaint I've seen more about 2.2.15.

2.2.15 is better for jobs with decent locality of reference
and worse for data streaming jobs. This will be fixed.

However, at the moment I'm still busy fixing 2.3 VM. It seems
like 2.3 is almost fixed now, so with a bit of luck I'll get
around to 2.2 pretty soon.

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.