Question on the TCP aliasing implementation.

From: Daniel Shane (daniel@insu.com)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 22:41:38 EST

Hello,

Maybe this has been addressed before but I was wondering if it was
possible to create a TCP alias without using the ethX:0..1..2..3
interface. The problem is that I need these interfaces to behave like a
real eth0. For example, it is not possible to execute a dhcpd server
with eth0:0 as an argument, it doesnt work.

I know there is a dummy interface but if I recall all it does is eat
packets to simulate a link. Is there a way to redirect a dummy
interfafce towards a particular eth.. interface?
There is also the vmnet modules from vmware that simulates a real
network card, but I dont think that these drivers are GPL'ed.

Has enyone worked on redesigning the aliasing code so that it behaves
more like a real network interface?

Daniel Shane