Re: [SCARED] Is ext2 unreliable?

From: Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 07:54:04 EST

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Sasi Peter wrote:

> The following has just happened to me, and caused to lose the trust I had
> for linux's reliability.

        I wouldn't be so quick to worry.

> Here in the dormitory of Electrical Engineering of the Technical
> University we have a LAN of ~500 PC-s, and in my box I have a 58GB
> partition on which we share MPEG movies and mp3s. I keep deleting the old
> files, but somehow fee space just did not come back, and now finally I did
> a df and a du -s and recognized, that there was a 15GB difference! Then I
> have shut down all the services, actually all the processes not part of
> the kernel + init + sh, and tied to umount it. No success, it said it was
> busy. fuser -vm showed no users. Restart in single mode, e2fsck: clean.
> e2fsck -f, and here it came:
> - lots of deleted inodes wrong
> - at bitmap differences it listed every single block
> - lots of wrong free count for groups (it was zeroed out)
> - lots of wrong directory couts for groups (random but wrong numbers)
> And this came after 15 days of uptime. It just did not free up space, that
> is what I happened to notice ant then this.
>
> How can this happen???
>
> I have 2.2.14pre14 with usb raid and ide patches, the partition was on a
> raid0 over 4 disks two occupying the two PIIX4 channes on the
> motherboard (UDMA2), two on the CMD648 (UDMA4).
>
> Would please somebody explain, how this could have happened?
>
> PS: after e2fsck now I have the 15GB back...

        The 15GB was likely tied up in files that were still open when they
were rm'ed and just never closed. This may have actually been why you
couldn't umount the drive, though it surprises me that the system felt there
were things still around with open files even after shutting down everything.

        BTW, you're using raid0, this means you have *no* redundancy, and if
you lose a drive, ALL your data is gone. Needless to say, this may not be the
best idea if you're concerned about that data at all...

        As for the errors, they don't look too bad to me, but I'm not a fs
expert, hopefully someone more familiar will be able to shed some light as to
why you got those errors even though the drive was marked 'clean'.

                Stephen