Re: Reg: Sound Card Duplex

From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 08:00:07 EST

>From: Marc Lehmann <pcg@goof.com>
>Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 00:45:43 +0200
>Subject: Re: Reg: Sound Card Duplex
>
>On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 03:06:05AM +0200, Zoran Davidovac <zdavid@unicef.org.y
>u> wrote:
>> try alsa modules instead http://www.alsa-project.org/
>> I think that are even better than oss but You will have to
>> use/recompiles some programs to use alsa
>
>However, the oss emulation of alsa is hardly if ever working, and "just
>recompiling" rarely helps (unless the program explicitly support alsa).

This is NOT true, certainly not in general. It is true that right now,
if you are using the latest ALSA CVS release, OSS emulation is broken.
But to say that it is "hardly if ever" working is exaggerating a
lot. Perhaps there is some specific problem with the particular kind
of sound card you are using. I have 4 soundcards in my machine, and
the two that are capable of being used under OSS (the other two are
pro multichannel cards) work perfectly with OSS-API applications. In
fact, they work slightly better than they do with the current kernel
drivers that are derived from OSS.

Its also not true that you need to recompile applications to get them
to work with ALSA's OSS emulation mode - it provides emulation via a
device driver interface, not as a library that you link with. As long
as you have /etc/modules.conf set up correctly, any program opening
/dev/dsp will get a fully OSS-compatible file descriptor.

The only thing that ALSA does not emulate is the OSS
/dev/sequencer{,2} device, which IMHO is a good thing. The ALSA
sequencer is orders of magnitude better, and if you just want to play
MIDI files, use the pmidi program that already exists for ALSA.

--p