Kernel novice questions...

From: Kernel User (kernel@capstone.net.au)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 19:48:14 EST

I would like to make just 2 small modifications to my standard
RH6.1 2.2.12-20 kernel configuration.

This machine has never had any kernel modification done at all and
I have just done a "make xconfig" and there is now a .config file
present in /usr/src/linux. I assume that this is some kind of
"default" .config file and so as a test, I have just recompiled the
kernel with the new .config file and after the PC is rebooted, it fails
on "detecting new hardware" on startup, so the default .config must
literally be a "default" and not directly pertinent to my hardware.

I do not have the knowledge to accurately answer the miriad of
questions asked in make config (or menuconfig or xconfig) but I do
need to make these small changes so I was hoping that there
would be a pertinent .config file already on the system but it seems
not.

Can anyone help me with this?

Regards,
Brad