Re: Kernel novice questions...

From: Kernel User (kernel@capstone.net.au)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 04:33:58 EST

On 5 Apr 2000, at 22:56, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> >I would like to make just 2 small modifications to my standard
> >RH6.1 2.2.12-20 kernel configuration.
>
> >This machine has never had any kernel modification done at all and I
> >have just done a "make xconfig" and there is now a .config file
> >present in /usr/src/linux. I assume that this is some kind of
> >"default" .config file
>
> Hm... well, perhaps. Where did your kernel source come from? Did you
> install it from a tarball from kernel.org, or is it from the redhat
> kernel-source RPM? If it's from redhat, I _assume_ that the .config
> file reflects their standard kernel configuration...

Source came from Red Hat 6.1 CD. I have also now tried to do a
compile from the i686 default .config file (PC is PII-400) with the
same result - PC fails on boot during hardware detection.

> >and so as a test, I have just recompiled the
> >kernel with the new .config file and after the PC is rebooted, it
> >fails on "detecting new hardware" on startup, so the default .config
> >must literally be a "default" and not directly pertinent to my
> >hardware.
>
> Hrm. If all you did was compile the kernel, then you probably didn't
> change _anything_ in your boot process. If you just did a make dep;
> make bzImage; make modules then nothing changed... to actually boot a
> new kernel, you need to change /etc/lilo.conf, and re-run lilo. There
> is one kernel make-able that supposedly will do this for you... but
> that's probably not what you did.

Yes, I edited lilo.conf and then ran /sbin/lilo.

> >I do not have the knowledge to accurately answer the miriad of
> >questions asked in make config (or menuconfig or xconfig)
>
> "help" is your friend... each one generally says "if you don't know,
> say NO" or something to that effect.

Yes, that is often the case, but not always.

> >but I do
> >need to make these small changes so I was hoping that there
> >would be a pertinent .config file already on the system but it seems
> >not.
>
> Which changes?

I wish to move the parallel port printing function out of a loadable
module and compile it into the active kernel. To do this , I need to
change Parallel Port, Character Device and PC Hardware settings.

Regards,
Brad