Re: Got md request, not good (Raid 0.90 2.2.15pre17)

From: Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Date: Tue Apr 04 2000 - 20:11:42 EST

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Ted Cabeen wrote:

> I'm having a problem with a RAID array and 2.2.15pre17. The array I have is
> an linear array made of of two striped arrays. Both the striped arrays work
> correctly and can be mke2fs'ed fine. However, when I then concatenate the two
> striped arrays into a linear array, I can't get past the writing inode tables
> section without getting a "Got md request, not good" error that stops the
> mke2fs.
>
> I've seen some mention of this error in the archives, but no solutions.
> Thoughts?

        Just curious, how did you apply the raid patch, and what raid patch
did you apply, specifically? I found the best way that works is to use the
raid patch for 2.2.14 against kernel 2.2.14 and then patch to 2.2.15pre17.
This results in one rejection (which is drivers/block/raid1.c), which can
be pretty easily fixed (or even ignored). The fix is to add a couple of lines
to raid1_kmalloc to allow a schedule to be done instead of just constantly
complaining. The idea being (I think) to allow some memory to become
availible before continueing. This can be pretty trivially ignored, as it
does not really impact things unless you're running very tight on your memory,
and are running raid1.
        If you use the raid patch for 2.2.14 against 2.2.15pre17 I seem to
recall that you get more rejections. Anyhow, may not help you, but thought I'd
mention it.

                Stephen