Re: Got md request, not good (Raid 0.90 2.2.15pre17)

From: Ted Cabeen (secabeen@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 11:49:50 EST

In message <Pine.LNX.4.05.10004051026180.5831-100000@ns.snowman.net>, Stephen F
rost writes:
>On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Ted Cabeen wrote:
>
>> In message <Pine.LNX.4.05.10004042107090.5831-100000@ns.snowman.net>, Stephe
>n F
>> rost writes:
>> > Just curious, how did you apply the raid patch, and what raid patch
>> >did you apply, specifically? I found the best way that works is to use the
>> >raid patch for 2.2.14 against kernel 2.2.14 and then patch to 2.2.15pre17.
>> >This results in one rejection (which is drivers/block/raid1.c), which can
>> >be pretty easily fixed (or even ignored). The fix is to add a couple of li
>nes
>> >to raid1_kmalloc to allow a schedule to be done instead of just constantly
>> >complaining. The idea being (I think) to allow some memory to become
>> >availible before continueing. This can be pretty trivially ignored, as it
>> >does not really impact things unless you're running very tight on your memo
>ry,
>> >and are running raid1.
>>
>> Where is the 2.2.14 raid patch? I only saw one for 2.2.11.
>
> http://www.redhat.com/~mingo/raid-patches (IIRC, if that doesn't work,
>lemme know and I'll sniff down the correct URL)

It tried applying the patches in the order you described and it didn't work.
>From a brief lookover at the code, what it looks like to me is that the
current set of RAID patches don't work well with nested arrays,
particularly in the request code. With a single array, requests to
portions of the disk are mapped to the correct portion of the physical disk
that should hold that data. However, when you have an array on top of an
array, what happens is that the request is mapped to the correct portion of
the underlying raid array that makes up the top one, and that array doesn't
then map it again onto an actual disk. Unfortunately, I don't see exactly
where this is happening, or what steps should be taken to fix it.
Can someone look into this and see what needs to be done to correctly map
nested RAID requests? Thanks.

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen         secabeen@pobox.com
Check Website or finger for PGP Public Key        secabeen@midway.uchicago.edu