Re: Bad IRQ Conflicts on Laptop (2.3.99-p4-2)

From: Wakko Warner (wakko@animx.eu.org)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 19:42:49 EST

> I'm having problems with IRQ allocation. It seems that every device is
> being allocated with IRQ 9 including both of my PCMCIA slots and
> video/sound/modem/firewire/usb. The BIOS seems to incorrectly map both
> my PCMCIA slots to IRQ 255 which Linux then remaps to IRQ 9.
>
> I run into problems because my sound card won't work properly when on
> the same IRQ as my CardBus ethernet controller. PNP has been disabled in
> my BIOS and I've tried switching the PCI scanning to both BIOS and
> Direct without any change.
>
> I'm running a Sony Vaio PCG-XG9 laptop with 2.3.99-pre4-2. Serial ports,
> IRDA, and parallel ports have been disabled in BIOS in a hope to free
> some IRQs.

I have an irq problem with yenta on an nec versa sx. Seems it always wants
to use an irq that is currently *IN* use. irq 3/4 aren't allocated by a pci
device. (3 is free, 4 isn't)

slot 0 always grabs irq 10 (video according to lspci), and slot 1 always
grabs 5 (sound)

If I have a cardbus card in slot 1 (top slot), it and my sound card will be
on the same irq which causes problems.

I just don't understand why they don't make laptops that can go above irq 15
(PCI only). Maybe windoze can't handle it.