Re: Source code for Linux XFS now available!

From: Christoph Hellwig (chhellwig@gmx.net)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 10:18:00 EST

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 08:16:15AM -0600, Jim Mostek wrote:
> >> and expensive 56k or 64k lines. I can download reiserfs, ext3, jfs and linlogfs either as patch or
> >> as tarball of the new files, why can't you do this, too?
> >
> >Please do :(
>
> Russell placed a smaller source patch in:
> ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/ftpdir/03312000linux-2.3.99pre2-linux-2.3-xfs.patch.gz

Ok, I've downloaded it. BTW: the patch has all the CVS dirs included, so it is not very well
readable. Could you please remove this in the next version?

> >> We have a lvm in linux. It's simply a block device for the fs, seems very
> >> easy ;)
> >
> >Fro what I could tell of the XFS code its doesn't use any parts of linux
> >VFS layer. It looks like to will have to be slowly intergrated to it.
>
> What to you mean by this?
> We have implemented all of the file and inode ops in
> xfs/linux/xfs_file.c, xfsZ_iops.c, xfs_super.c, ...
>
> Are you saying that we should eliminate the linvfs layer
> and just change the xfs_* routines? If we do eliminate
> the linvfs layer we will need to somehow retain the
> bhv_desc_t structures so that CXFS can fold in.

Hmm, I think a proper integration in the OS is much more worth than an
intergation in an clustering-fs, which could be adopted to use generic interfaces,
but the porting of xfs and cxfs may be much easier without it.

Christoph

--
Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else.