APIC and some timers stuff

From: Vincent Oberle (vincent.oberle@hadiko.de)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 11:48:55 EST

Hi all,

We are trying to implement Differentiated Services on Linux. In order to
develop a DiffServ router, we need really precise oneshoot timers with a
resolution of 0.5 - 1us, something that would do "call this function in
67 us +/- 1 us".

I had a look on some "software" solutions (utime, libvtimer, rtai), but
they do not seem to be able to guarantee the precision we need. So I am
looking on some hardware solutions.

A good idea seem to use the Pentium local APIC's programmable timer (I
know Ingo is working on that).
But unfortunately, the APIC seems to be disabled on most UP
motherboards. Does someone knows MBs with the APIC enabled?
Does somebody have programming experience with the APIC? Some docs?
Any other suggestion are welcome.

Moreover I've been told that with any PC timer, depending on what I am
doing, I can have 10 us latencies, even with a timer with us resolution.
I am not sure to understand well. I thought I could program a PC timer
to generate a hardware interrupt that would interrupt everything else
running and call a function, no?

Thanks a lot. As soon as I have some interesting code, I will let you
now.
Vincent

--
Vincent Oberle
Institut für Telematik, Universität Karlsruhe (TH)