Shared library problem

From: Mark Stanford (mark@orville.yi.org)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 12:50:52 EST

Hello,

Lately I've been doing some work with some shared libraries, and I noticed
what seems to me to be a bit of an inconsistency. When programs are
running that are using a shared library, and that library is deleted, the
programs continue running without a hitch (I assume that some copy of the
library is made into memory). However, when I replace the library with
another version of that library (a basically different file) without
deleting the original first, the programs running that use the library
die. This indicates to me that in general shared libraries are accessed
from disk, but when they are deleted they are cached in RAM. It seems to
me that if they are overwritten they should also be cached in RAM in the
same way, for consistency's sake--and the result of not doing this is
clear from my experience.

I am running 2.2.14 by the way.

Please cc responses to mark@orville.yi.org as I am not subscribed to
linux-kernel.