[OT] util-linux-2.10g and Windows 2000

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 21:17:32 EST

A moment ago I put util-linux-2.10g on ftp.cwi.nl and
ftp.win.tue.nl . (Some other standard sites were not
willing to cooperate today.)

The fdisk had some largish changes, tested by zero people,
so don't put this into a distribution unless you test it.

It is rumoured that Windows 2000 does not accept partition
tables that are not ordered according to disk order.
(DOS / Win95 / Win98 have no problems, and neither has Linux)
If this is true then fdisk must become somewhat stricter.
The present version has an expert command f that does a sort.
[But, let me repeat, nobody tried this. However, it compiles.]

If anyone happens to have a Windows 2000 system nearby,
I would be interested in hearing about what it thinks
about unsorted (or otherwise less usual) partition tables,
both during an install and during normal operation.

Andries - aeb@cwi.nl