Re: devfs howto

From: Sergey Kubushin (ksi@ksi-linux.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 12:17:08 EST

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Edward S. Marshall wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Sergey Kubushin wrote:
> > Just my $.25 - I liked the old devfs names (that of /dev/sda/c0b0t0u0p1)
> > much more than /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 ...
>
> Let me be the lone voice speaking up for keeping the longer names. ;-) Two
> reasons:
>
> a) parsing this programmatically becomes incredibly easy; the filesystem
> handles the hierarchy for you, instead of having to parse the name. You
> can easily traverse the whole tree without ever having to do messy
> string manipulations (meaning a shell can do it without difficulty).
>
> b) the naming scheme is human-readable instead of symbolic, and mirrors
> the and mirrors the kernel's (and hardware's) underlying hierarchy of
> devices, channels, hosts, luns, partitions, etc, making it more useful
> and instructive to the user managing it.
>
> And since the naming conventions are changable through devfsd, you can
> abbreviate them if you want. Heck, you could just go back to /dev/sda1 if
> you really want shorter names. :-)

No problem at all here. I'm with new and very new names for a long time :))
The main problem is consistency, I'd be very upset to survive the third
change... _ALL_ compatibility entries are evil by definition so our
distribution has to be useable without any of them.

> Anyways, congrats to Richard on finally getting this into the kernel
> proper. :-) Now, if we could just get ALSA in there, I'd be happy...;-)

I second your congrats :)) I do remember that mortal combat for devfsd
inclusion which I had been a part of...

But I can't agree that it's just ALSA left... I'd name such musthave's like
journalling fs (presumably reiserfs as most mature by now) and LVM. May be
most of the mere users does not realize how important those things are, but
I do see our good old RS/6000 with 1,000+ days uptime every day. And I do
remember that we did already change three failed disks with root filesystem
during these almost three years...