Re: devfs howto

From: Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 11:51:10 EST

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Sergey Kubushin wrote:
> Just my $.25 - I liked the old devfs names (that of /dev/sda/c0b0t0u0p1)
> much more than /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 ...

Let me be the lone voice speaking up for keeping the longer names. ;-) Two
reasons:

a) parsing this programmatically becomes incredibly easy; the filesystem
   handles the hierarchy for you, instead of having to parse the name. You
   can easily traverse the whole tree without ever having to do messy
   string manipulations (meaning a shell can do it without difficulty).

b) the naming scheme is human-readable instead of symbolic, and mirrors
   the and mirrors the kernel's (and hardware's) underlying hierarchy of
   devices, channels, hosts, luns, partitions, etc, making it more useful
   and instructive to the user managing it.

And since the naming conventions are changable through devfsd, you can
abbreviate them if you want. Heck, you could just go back to /dev/sda1 if
you really want shorter names. :-)

Anyways, congrats to Richard on finally getting this into the kernel
proper. :-) Now, if we could just get ALSA in there, I'd be happy...;-)

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>         http://home.xnet.com/~emarshal/