Re: new or old devfs naming scheme (Was: Re: devfs howto)

From: Sergey Kubushin (ksi@ksi-linux.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 04:44:22 EST

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Sergey Kubushin writes:
> > On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> >

> > > Hello Richard, I have to agree with Sergey on the point
> > > of liking the old names over the new . But I guess I can
> > > get devfsd to create them for me can't I ? Tia, JimL
> >
> > Yes, you can. But they won't appear until devfsd is fired up. So you
> > can't mount the root fs with old name until the devfsd which happen
> > to be on the fs which you wanna mount is running... One can squeeze
> > statically linked devfsd into initrd, but with modular filesystems,
> > lvm etc. it'll be rather big one...
>
> Not quite true. Try booting with "root=/dev/sd/c0b0t0u0p1" and see
> what happens. Hint: it will work. You don't need devfsd in initrd for
> this.

Yeah, but you DO need it to have the same in your fstab...

> > Richard, is it possible and can be agreed upon with Linus to make a
> > choice of new names vs old ones a kernel boot option? I'd be helluva
> > pleased to have such an option. Isn't is ugly to have such a horror?
>
> Yes, it's out of the question. Even if Linus would agree, I
> wouldn't. And Linus won't agree ;-) Maintaining several namespaces
> would be a nightmare.
>
> All that can be done is minor cleanups of the namespace as now
> implemented.

It's not that important to me how are the things called exactly. All my
posts on the subject are kinda speculations and I'm with both old and new
namespaces since long ago :)) The principal concern is the stability - it'd
be helluva bad if the things are changed for a third time... I did change a
lotta apps to stick with new namespace (no compatibility entries, ANY of
them is evil) and it'd be not all that good to restart the process...

BTW, why /dev/disCs, not /dev/disKs ? :))