Re: Of removable devices

From: David Balazic (david.balazic@uni-mb.si)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 03:39:57 EST

Khimenko Victor wrote:

> In <38AD4C16.33FE12C1@uni-mb.si> David Balazic (david.balazic@uni-mb.si) wrote:
> > Or just make the drive "buzz" like I described in my other mail.
> > ( by turning the motor on and off , and moving the head around )
>
> Hmm. So this thing will work ONLY for floppies and not for other removeable
> devices ??? Like CD-RW mentioned above ???

CD drives can be locked , remember ?
Kernel just locks the drive and it's cool.
I believe this is the current behaviour with mounted CDs.
It could be tweaked to unlock the CD-RW when no dirty buffers are
present.

Besides , you can pull the attention of the user by opening/closeng the
tray
for 10 times :-)
The floppy buz idea was also a half-joke , something as a last resort,
I didn't seriously expect it to be the default on all linux systems.

--
David Balazic