Re: Unable to load Creative ViBRA16X PnP with kernels 2.3.4[456]

From: Ian Peters (itp@gnu.org)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 23:03:48 EST

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 11:09:11PM -0800, Paul Laufer wrote:
> Alessandro Zummo broke the SB driver for normal SB16 and SBAWE32 cards
> when he added support for a few other soundblaster compatable cards in
> 2.3.43. He currently knows about the problem and if you contact him (his
> address is in sb_card.c) I'm sure he will be more than happy to let you
> test his latest version.

Thanks for the info. I noticed that 2.3.47-7 has those changes merged
in, so I figured I'd give it a try.

(This is stock 2.3.47pre7 with Andrea's inode corruption fix applied,
from
ftp.kernel.org//pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/patches/v2.3/2.3.47pre7/inode-corruption-2.gz)

At boot time, I get the normal message

isapnp: Scanning for Pnp cards...
isapnp: Card 'Creative ViBRA16X PnP'
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total

However, any attempt to open /dev/dsp results in

Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb: dsp reset failed.

A quick check of /proc/isapnp showed the following suspicious lines:

Card 1 'CTL00f0:Creative ViBRA16X PnP' PnP version 1.0 Product version 1.0
  Logical device 0 'CTL0043:Audio'
    Device is not active
    [snip standard info]

At this point, I ran isapnp (userland tool), and checked back in
/proc/isapnp, and found

Card 1 'CTL00f0:Creative ViBRA16X PnP' PnP version 1.0 Product version 1.0
  Logical device 0 'CTL0043:Audio'
    Device is active
    Active port 0x220,0x330,0x388
    Active IRQ 5 [0x2]
    Active DMA 1,3

Trying to open /dev/dsp at this point worked fine. Since I'm not
passing the module /any/ parameters, this means that the kernel isapnp
must be working to some extent, because it did figure out correct
values for the card -- just didn't activate the device.

I've attached the .config used, and /proc/isapnp from before and after
running the userland utility, but what I've included above is all that
changed. Hope this bug report is of some use.

--
Ian Peters   |  GnuPG Key ID 5C23D20C     |  The reader this message
itp@gnu.org  |  E584 2558 FAC3 BEAB EFAC  |  encounters not failing to