Re: Many daemons

From: Andy Henroid (andy_henroid@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 13:21:58 EST

--- Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>>
>> Is it reasonable to cook up a single outlet to
>> userspace for device state events like power
>> states, attach, detach, etc.?
>
> Not rally.
>
> You probably don't realize just how much the acpid
> thing does: it parses the ACPI AML language etc -
> all quite complex, and all something that I do
> not want to do in the kernel due to that complexity.

Not to get off topic here but there will be a
need to do, at least, some of what acpid now
does (AML-wise) in the kernel in the future.
To support features like suspend to disk, some
interpretation will have to be done in-kernel.

> Maybe there should be some more generic interfaces
> (ie a generic interface to user mode to inform
> people about suspend/resume), but I do not think
> there should be complete unification..

Actually, I think unification of acpid and apmd
would be good. True, with its AML interpreter,
acpid would be a bulk of the binary right now but
I forsee that diminishing and acpid containing the
same amount of functionality as apmd. Unification
would be nice from the user/install perspective.

-Andy