Unable to load Creative ViBRA16X PnP with kernels 2.3.4[456]

From: Ian Peters (itp@gnu.org)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 00:10:50 EST

I sent mail to the list 13/02 about this problem. This problem
persists with kernels 2.3.45 and 2.3.46. I also received a private
reply from someone else who has experienced this problem. In his
case, explicitly adding the correct io, irq, and dma options on
options, the module won't load. I'm perfectly willing to do whatever
I can to help debug this, if someone tells me what is needed.

Problem:

isapnp appears to detect the card fine, with the following messages at
boot time:

---
isapnp: Scanning for Pnp cards...
isapnp: Card 'Creative ViBRA16X PnP'
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total
---

Additionally, /proc/isapnp is unchanged from 2.3.42, where sound worked fine.

When I try to play an mp3, for example, mpg123 bails after failing to open /dev/dsp (normally kmod would load sound and it work fine). When I manually try to modprobe sb, I get:

--- Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996 sb_card: No ISAPnP cards found /lib/modules/2.3.44/misc/sb.o: init_module: Device or resource busy /lib/modules/2.3.44/misc/sb.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.3.44/misc/sb.o failed /lib/modules/2.3.44/misc/sb.o: insmod sb failed ---

The system is a dual-PII, the sound card is onboard the Tyan motherboard. Attached are my .config and /proc/isapnp. Please feel free to ask me for anymore information that will help with this problem, or if it's known and being worked on, please let me know so I stop worrying about it. ;)

-- Ian Peters | GnuPG Key ID 5C23D20C | The reader this message itp@gnu.org | E584 2558 FAC3 BEAB EFAC | encounters not failing to itp@acm.org | FC74 CFED 7E24 5C23 D20C | understand is cursed.