Re: Of removable devices

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 16:58:37 EST

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> In <Pine.LNX.3.95.1000216152401.1546A-100000@chaos.analogic.com> Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com) wrote:
> RJ> On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:
> RJ> [SNIPPED...]
>

> >> No. You misunderstood conception again.
>
> RJ> I understand 'conception' perfectly.
>
> No :-) You are looking on problem from inside (from Linux filesystem side)
> not from outside (from "naive user" viewpoint).

[SNIPPED all about naive user]

If you don't intend to use a particular floppy drive for "unix style"
operation, you can "mount the device" through an installable device-
driver that does anything/everything that you want. The kernel doesn't
have to care.

Any functionality (including remembering the IDs of 'N' different
diskettes -- if you want) can be handled with such a module. The
kernel doesn't have to be changed at all. The "office application"
needs to 'know' how to handle the error codes that it gets and
put up the right prompt, but the kernel doesn't have to care.

If you intend to put such a 'prompt' in the kernel, your concept
is broken.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).