Re: Of removable devices

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@dell.sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 17:05:56 EST

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:
>
> > In <Pine.LNX.3.95.1000216152401.1546A-100000@chaos.analogic.com> Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com) wrote:
> > RJ> On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:
> > RJ> [SNIPPED...]

> > RJ> I understand 'conception' perfectly.
> >
> > No :-) You are looking on problem from inside (from Linux filesystem side)
> > not from outside (from "naive user" viewpoint).
> >
> [SNIPPED all about naive user]
>
> If you don't intend to use a particular floppy drive for "unix style"
> operation, you can "mount the device" through an installable device-
> driver that does anything/everything that you want. The kernel doesn't
> have to care.

The whole idea wasto allow "Windows-style operations with floppies for ALL
programs" . Do you read the beginning of thread ?

> Any functionality (including remembering the IDs of 'N' different
> diskettes -- if you want) can be handled with such a module. The
> kernel doesn't have to be changed at all. The "office application"
> needs to 'know' how to handle the error codes that it gets and
> put up the right prompt, but the kernel doesn't have to care.

Yet again: the whole idea was that "office application" should NOT be
changed.

> If you intend to put such a 'prompt' in the kernel, your concept
> is broken.

Why so ? Of course kernel should not show prompt by itself. There are need
to be "notication daemon", etc. _Please_ read thread once again. I already
described all this...

P.S. I personally do not think that such a big changes in VFS worth is but
current incarnation of supermount is just useless: to small for "novice
user", to much for "advanced user". Yes, it works sometimes. If you need
something that "works sometimes" use Windows !