Re: 2.3.42 fs corruption

From: Mike Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 11:32:50 EST

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> I would be interested to know if people who experienced fs corruption with
> the late 2.3.x is able to reproduce after applying this patch on the top
> of 2.3.42:
>
> ftp://ftp.*.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/kernels/v2.3/2.3.42aa2.gz
>
> The interesting bit is this:
>
> ftp://ftp.*.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/kernels/v2.3/2.3.42aa2/buffer-4.gz
>
> I am now running under heavy fs/dentry load 2.3.42aa2 on alpha and I am
> waiting to reproduce. If you have hints on how to exploit the corruption
> your're welcome ;).

I know an excellent way to create corruption :) Use the loop device
on an fs-in-a-box created with mke2fs -Fqb ${BLKSIZE} ${BOX} ${BLOCKS}.
What corruption happens is dependant on what blocksize the host fs is.
It gets more interesting when you use the same dirctory/file names on
two different fs with two different blocksizes.

Your buffer-4 fixed 99% of the trouble :) Replacing invalidate_buffers()
with destroy_buffers() got rid of the crumbs it was leaving around.

        -Mike

<sigh> P.S.
With the attached diag-diff, it almost works perfectly now. (seems
to be a bit racy if you reuse too soon. the hunk that seems likely
to make your facial expression change is why I'm attaching it. I
really don't understand why it has to start with blocksize=PAGE_SIZE
to work right.. almost.. and hope some reader may know why:)