SMP crashes after accessing /dev/ttyS1 (2.2.14)

From: Olaf Dietrich (olaf.dietrich@urz.uni-heidelberg.de)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 17:48:00 EST

Is there any explanation why my SMP kernel crashes shortly
after executing the following program:

  #include <stdio.h>
  #include <fcntl.h>
  #include <unistd.h>
  #include <errno.h>

  int main(void)
  {
          int fd;
          char device[]="/dev/ttyS1";

          if ((fd = open(device, O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK)) < 0) {
                  perror(device);
                  return 1;
          }
          close(fd);
          return 0;
  }

The only thing in the log-files is:

  kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 3c.
  kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
  kernel: Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?

  kernel: unexpected IRQ vector 77 on CPU#1!

SMP must be enabled to make the kernel crash. Accessing
/dev/ttyS0 is no problem. /dev/ttyS1 is not used by any
device I'm aware of.

Magic SysRq works sometimes after the crash--sometimes
not ... (i. e. hardware reset necessary).

Hardware involved is an old Gigabyte board 586DX with two
Pentium 200 MMX. Crashes are triggered e. g. under X by
certain mouse (PS/2) activity or after some time compiling
(e. g. make -j 6 zImage). I've seen similar crashes with
older kernel versions (since 2.0.x at least).

Any ideas or suggestions? Is there any evidence that this
is a hardware/mainboard problem? Any more information I
can provide?

Thanks,
Olaf