Re: advice requested re: huge files and/or disk seeking

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 16:23:00 EST

In article <cistron.200001311631.LAA05351@op.net>,
Paul Barton-Davis <pbd@Op.Net> wrote:
>i face a problem or two. a 4GB file size limit means that i could
>never fit more than about 7-3/4 minutes of audio into any one
>file. thats bad, very bad.

Why. You could simply use multiple files sequentially. Store the
offset as (filenumber, offset) tuples.

>instead, and also prompted by the fact that the audio interface (the
>RME Digi9652, a pure digital interface with 26 input channels and 26
>output channels) does not interleave its data, i have taken the
>obvious approach of storing each track in its own file.

But that means a lot of seeking.

>one option is to pray for a large file size limit, and then interleave
>the data. last thing i knew, this was still an unincorporated kernel
>patch. bad choice from my perspective, if thats still true.

2.3.current has support for 64 bit file sizes, the next stable kernel
(2.4) and glibc (2.3 ??) will do what you want, but those might be
months away.

>any comments or opinions ? i am not on linux-kernel, so please include
>a personal reply.

Hmm. I'll try, but I'm reading this through a mail2news gateway
wehere a folowup goes just to the list.

Mike.

Reply to the list or to miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)