Re: advice requested re: huge files and/or disk seeking

From: Helge Hafting (helgehaf@idb.hist.no)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 02:43:32 EST

[...]
>i have taken the
>obvious approach of storing each track in its own file.

>this works fine for recording, but playback is *hard* to do if we want
>low latency operation (where low latency means queing less than, oh,
>20ms worth of data in the h/w buffer). why is it hard ? because seek
>times on modern disks are at least 4.5ms, and when we have to seek
>across 24+ files, which happens from time to time as the buffer cache
>does it stuff, we lose bigtime.

Consider using two disks, now you only have 12+ files to worry about.
Or 4 disks with 6 files on each. You get more storage space too.

Having to use several disks may look like a limitation, but it is only
temporary as drive technology progress. Definitely go for scsi with
the highest available spin rate, that gives lower latency. And
connecting a lot of them is easy enough, particularly with LVD.

Helge Hafting