Re: 2.2.14 feels slow and non-interactive.

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 03:32:30 EST

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:

>Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:40:49 -0300
>From: Horst von Brand <vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl>
>To: mharris@meteng.on.ca
>Subject: Re: 2.2.14 feels slow and non-interactive.

>> >Yes, when I only using a fraction of my installed memory :c)
>
>> >Make sure you are running with all your physical memory detected.
>> >For a time I was running with only 1/4 of my physical memory. But
>> >I have a total of 256MB, so it took me a long time to realize that
>> >I didn't use the full 256MB.
>
>> No, thats definitely not the problem either. I have 96Mb of RAM
>> in my system - 64Mb of which is cached and 32Mb uncached.
>
>Try booting with "mem=64m" and check that way then. Perhaps the memory
>usage shifted so it is now using (more of) the uncached RAM?

Tried that allready. ;o) Same thing. I removed 32Mb of memory
so now all I have is 64M, and 2.2.13 is faster than 2.2.14. I
tried aa1 and the latest 15prepatch but haven't been able to
conclusively say wether either is better than 2.2.14.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org