Re: SMP filesystem corruption in 2.3.40 (and before) with sawmill"make install"

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 14:33:05 EST

Alexander Viro wrote:
> Urgh... How long ago had it started? It sounds like buffer/page cache
> aliasing. Was it there before 2.3.7?

Speaking of aliasing, 2.3.x has had a problem for a while where 'ls -l'
will show _two_ directory entries for a single file. This is a
temporary problem which always corrects itself 5-10 seconds later -- and
'ls -l' looks normal after that.

So far this has happened to me only for normal files recently
copied/manipulated, and only on NFS filesystem. That last data point
may be a red herring though, as my environment is very heavily NFS'd
anyway.

This has been around for quite a while in 2.3.x, and I have never seen
the behavior in 2.2.x. I reported this once before a while back, but
since the problem always goes away it was never a big deal.

Regards,

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik         | Andre the Giant has a posse.
Building 1024       |