Re: Devices not supporting read-6....

From: Erik Andersen (andersen@xmission.com)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 05:06:31 EST

On Fri Jan 21, 2000 at 12:50:03PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> On that general subject, right now the only way to send generic ATAPI
> commands is to have ide-scsi on that interface, and nothing else.
> This makes it extremely hard to use.
>
> Either we should *always* send IDE commands through the SCSI subsystem
> (effectively treating IDE as a form of SCSI; I believe NT does this)
> or I'd like to see a way to issue generic ATAPI commands --
> preferrably via a "generic ATAPI device" analogous to what SCSI has
> (and parport IDE, I belive) -- i.e. /dev/hg0 et al -- or via an
> ioctl().
>
> There probably also should be an ioctl() for the cooked SCSI and IDE
> devices to find the equivalent generic device.
>
> -hpa

I invite you to read drivers/cdrom.c and include/linux/cdrom.h. The
CDROM_SEND_PACKET ioctl has been added to the interface during the 2.3.x
series, and allows you to send arbitrary packets to a low-level cdrom
driver that supports CDC_GENERIC_PACKET (i.e. ide and scsi).

/me thinks the uniform cdrom driver is very cool, but then I'm biased.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org