[Fwd: PCMCIA and USB 2.3.40-6]

From: johnforde (johnforde@uswest.net)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 17:58:54 EST

attached mail follows:

> > These 2 have nothing in common except the kernel version. I was too lazy to
> > send 2 emails <g>
> >
> > 1) PCMCIA
> > The pcmcia modules in the kernel identify all inserted cards as anonymous
> > memory.
>
> That is pretty much useless as a bug-report. I could simply state "It does
> not do this for me" (which is true). So what bridge are you using? What
> architecture? Brand and type of the cards?

After looking a little closer, it appears that it doesn't support the
cardbus anymore. the ixxxxx (forgot number) seems to only support ISA
cards. Yenta seems to support cardbus (or this is what I gather from the
little bit I saw in the source). The controller is ricoh rl5c478 which is
detected as an Intel pcmcia isa controller. I attempted to load yenta, but
it doesn't work. At this point, saying what cards I use is pointless. This
is on an NEC Versa SX laptop (I'm sure the LX will have the same problem).
insmod says yenta doesn't have any kernel version information (all pcmcia
compiled as modules)

> > 2) USB
> > Is there a driver for the netgear EA-101 USB->ethernet adapter? (Or any
> > ethernet adapters for that mater)
>
> Did you bother to check www.linux-usb.org? If you had, and had accessed the
> searchable email archive, you would have found that on Sat, 21 Aug 1999
> Matthew Dharm <mdharm@one-eyed-alien.net> was asking for a contact at
> Netgear/Baynetworks because there are no specs for this thing available on
> the webpage. I am afraid "no specs" means "no driver".

I keep forgetting about this. I wasn't sure since the config help said
ethernet adapters for acm.