Re: Interesting analysis of linux kernel threading by IBM

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 19:05:28 EST

I'll bet you that the proposed scheduler changes wouldn't have made
the load drop by even 2%, let alone the 600%+ that you got from your
coprocessors. It sounds like you were completely CPU bound.

I've been doing kernel performance work for more than ten years, so I'm
always ready to be surprised - in fact, I like it when I'm surprised
because it means I just learned something. But I'd be pretty shocked
if the scheduler had any impact whatsoever on your situation. The only
sort of way that it could is if you were context switching on every
byte. It's pretty hard to believe that that was the case, because
then you'd have the same problem with your coprocessors.

: Shortly before I went and purchased $10,000 encryption co-processors for
: my SSL web servers it was not unusual to see a 5 min loadave of 30-50 (and
: one time I saw it go up to 144!!). This was on AIX quad 233 2G ram RS/6000
: servers, after I got the encryption co-processors the loadave dropped to
: 5-10
:
: David Lang
: