Re: [patch] Proper MCA detection for AHA-1640

From: Thorsten Kranzkowski (th@Marvin.DL8BCU.ampr.org)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 06:38:50 EST

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 03:24:51PM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Adam Fritzler wrote:
[...]
> > The probing code in aha1542 actually should be redesigned a bit, IMHO. I
> > think the ISA PnP support was just pasted in, and it was clearly not in
> > the original design of the detection routine.

While you are talking about the 1542: Is the driver supposed to work on the
alpha platform?

I've plugged an aha1542c into my 'noname'. It is autodetected at the correct
address (0x334, irq 9, dma 7) but when scanning for devices it shows a lot
'scsi abort', 'scsi reset' etc. Eventually each ID is detected as a
false positive, with all fields (vendor, model...) empty or zero. There are
no devices connected.
Additionally I can't see the typical bit pattern on my LED-scsi-dongle while
scanning for devices. All led's are on, only the RST-line goes off for a
short moment, when the driver talks abaut 'scsi reset'.

If anyone is interested, I'll submit full boot messages.

I do not expect the 1542 to be broken, since I can successfully boot from
a connected hdd on my intel 486 box (at least it worked 2 weeks ago)

Not that this issue is important to me - just 'nice to have' :)

> Maybe, maybe not. Then again, why bother about nice design for ISA, when
> ISA obviously isn't designed nicely to begin with... :^)
>
> But seriously, I'll do something about it, to make sure that the ISA-probe
> is skipped if (MCA_bus) ...

bye,
Thorsten

--
| Thorsten Kranzkowski         Internet: dl8bcu@gmx.net                        |
| Mobile: ++49 161 7210230        Snail: Niemannsweg 30, 49201 Dissen, Germany |