Re: SCSI timeout errors betwwen 2940U2W and Chaparral RAID

From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 09:25:54 EST

>I get repeated ext2fs filesystem corruption problems on the disk. This machine
>is connected to a Chaparral RAID array of nine 36GB disks, and is partitioned
>into fourteen 20GB or so partitions. I've also tried just about every
>termination setting possible on the SCSI controller BIOS, and know that the
>chain is physically terminated on each end properly. So, what I'm wondering is
>:
>
> o Will a 20GB filesystem freak ext2fs out? I've never build such a large
>ext2fs filesystem before, though I've never had problems with large filesystem
>
>support on Sun UFS or SGI xfs before.

I was creating 18GB partitions a couple of weeks ago on a series of
non-RAID-controlled U2 disks. I got the exact same error (I have a
7890, the on-motherboard-equivalent of the 2940U2W) every time I tried
to build an ext2fs on one of the disks.

My disks are in removable cartridges, and for some reason, I moved
them around. It turned out that only in one of the cartridge bays were
there any problems. I tried flipping SCSI ID's. No effect.

Then, I replace the cable. Problems vanished.

So yes, ext2fs will do big partitions. i would recommend that you
check out each disk (and its connection) without RAID before drawing
further conclusions.

--p