Re: vger rejecting messages from mediaone (ORBS is evil)

From: Chris Kloiber (ckloiber@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 11:09:19 EST

David Schwartz wrote:

> > > wrongoing simply because one refuses to submit to search is
> > > wrong. It must
> > > be stopped. The goal is a good one, the method is evil. I would strongly
> > > suggest that all net admins block these probes.
> >
> > Hundreds of people will be glad to provide orbs with two hop test relays.
> > In fact if someone was to get that stupid then orbs has a database of
> > hundreds of thousands of open mail relays for two hop testing.
> >
> > Alan
>
> At this point, ORBS would almost undoubtedly face legal action. Using
> subterfuge to bypass a network policy decision made by those who have the
> right to make it would almost certainly constitute unauthorized use under
> the United States' computer laws. IANAL.
>
> DS

</LURK>

It will be interesting to see if this message gets to the list... I am
on my Time Warner- RoadRunner account.

I've been lurking here for a while reading pros and cons of ORBS and I
have a silly question. If a "Spamhaus" set up their server to bounce
ORBS probes, while remaining essentially open to other relays, ORBS
would list the site as OK, wouldn't it?

(Go ahead- probe me! <SPAM> Your packets bounce! <SPAM> I'm a closed
relay! <SPAM><SPAM>)

Don't flame me for that- I don't even run an SMTP server, much less spam
people.
Flame me instead for continuing this off-topic thread. Maybe this topic
needs it's own mailing list!

Chris Kloiber

<LURK>