Re: [2.3.3x] ALI M15x3 chipset support (EXPERIMENTAL)

From: Luca Montecchiani (m.luca@teamfab.it)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 18:38:27 EST

Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:

> Unless your BIOS does set an apropriate PCI cinfiguration register properly.
> Mine does not. Whatever PCI clock I set (jumpers) on the MoBo I always get 33
> MHz from /proc/ide/ali ...

Agree, jumpers will never died ;)

> Normally there's no way to set apropriate timings for DMA modes. However it
> seems to me that timings which are set for PIO modes are also used in DMA
> modes, i.e. benchmarks show difference.
> I also recalculated manually the standard PIO timings which are set by my
> BIOS and they look like being calculated basing on 42 MHz PCI clock...

Ok, but for Tom case, config_chipset_for_pio(..) is never called and
idebus=xxx is simply ignored.

> Chih-Jen Tsai <cjtsai@ali.com.tw> suggested that UDMA problems are WD drives
> specyfic and disappear when CRC errors are ignored. I'm not sure if it is
> easy to ignore CRC errors for specyfic hardware combinations only, but if it
> is - it could be a workaround of the problem.

Well, WDC disks are safely detected and driver fall back to dma2, for some
strange reasons that I can't remember my first hack failed to detect a WDC
and bonnie eat the filesystem, after that I've also put an extra hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc
to my rc.local ;)

> Could you send me the patch you use for Rev.20/UDMA, please ?

patch ? Around line 413 (2.3.40-4+minor_patch):

- if (m5229_revision <= 0x20) {
+ if (m5229_revision < 0x20) {

ciao,
luca

E-mail......: Luca Montecchiani <m.luca@iname.com>
W.W.W.......: http://i.am/m.luca - http://luca.myip.org
Speakfreely.: sflwl -hlwl.fourmilab.ch luca@
I.C.Q.......: 17655604

Non esiste vento favorevole per il marinaio che non sa dove andare Seneca