Re: BUG? i386 TLB Flushing of Global Pages

From: giampapa@us.ibm.com
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 12:18:24 EST

lkd@tantalophile.demon.co.uk wrote:
> AFAIK the specification simply says that global pages aren't flushed by
>reloading cr3. Why assume more?
>
>-- Jamie
Hi Jamie,
  I agree there is little if any information in the Intel documention
(anyone from Intel care to
comment?) on this topic. I do not have the references handy at the
moment, but in a prior-art
search for a patent I was working on, I stumbled across a number of patents
and papers
regarding controlling or optimizing hardware TLB replacement. The only
hint we have on
IA32 is _PAGE_GLOBAL, and we have already gotten ourselves in touble with
it once.
  As the world moves toward software-managed TLBs this will become moot
anyway.
Thanks,
Mark

Mark Giampapa