Re: GDTH driver

From: Sergey Kubushin (ksi@ksi-linux.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 10:34:09 EST

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Achim Leubner wrote:

> On 18 Jan 00 at 11:47, Sergey Kubushin wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Achim Leubner wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Achim!
> >
> Hi Sergey!
> >
> > I did CC: to you several times about your GDTH driver does NOT work at all
> > with 2.3.xx. Alas, no answer had been received so far...
> >
> > I'm in touch with Eric Youngdale trying to get the bugs in gdth drivers
> > fixed. D'ya share our efforts as a maintainer of a buggy driver? May be I'm
> > wrong, but I think that it's kinda wrong to ask about the performance of a
> > driver which does NOT work at all...
> >
> The driver works without any problems with kernel 2.2.xx. and
> with 2.0.xx. Most of our customers use 2.2.xx and they need a good
> performance. That's the reason of my performance question.
> >
> > Please look into 2.3.xx sources. The last revision mark from you is
> >
> > === Cut ===
> > * Revision 1.23 1999/03/26 09:12:31 achim
> > === Cut ===
> >
> > This is exactly the same driver which had been debugged by you for 2.2.x with
> > my assistance (hdr_channel set to 0, CD-ROM data corruption etc., d'ya
> > recall?). There is no sign of life from ICP Vortex since this victory, gdth
> > in 2.3.xx seems to be developed by different people and not maintained at
> > all..
> >
> On our web site http://www.icp-vortex.com you find a driver with the
> following revision mark:
> Revision 1.30 1999/11/02 13:42:39 achim
> This is the newest driver 1.17 for kernel 2.2.x and this driver is
> maintained. You find this driver in kernel 2.2.14.

OK, it's maintained, but not developed...

> > Please let me know, is this an official position of ICP Vortex not to mess
> > with development kernels doing only most necessary changes for, sorry for an
> > expression, "stable" ones?
> >
> You are wrong. I try to make all necessary changes for the
> development kernels too. But I had much other work in the last weeks.
> I will check the driver as far as possible. I think that changes are
> necessary in the /proc interface only.

They are not enough. Eric did already make necessary changes and kernel does
NOT crash any more when cat'ing /proc/scsi/gdth/0. But it does hung
occasionally with processes stuck in D state. System is alive, but there is
not responce from disks hooked to gdt controller. Neither emergency sync nor
unmount from SysRQ work. All another options do.

> Because you have much experiences with 2.3.xx, help is appreciated.

I'm ready to help in any way I can to get the bugs fixed. Pls let me know
how can I...