Re: [patch-2.3.40-p2] kmalloc(256K) for poll on nfds>16390 bug

From: Manfred Spraul (manfreds@colorfullife.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 12:01:35 EST

Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> [...] vmalloc():
>
> The disadvantage of first patch is that it makes poll very slow when
> nfds>16390 (better than nothing, though).

Did you benchmark the code?
I assume that polling > 16300 fds will be slow anyway, I'm not sure that
you'll notice the vmalloc().

> However, if you prefer the solution to lie in the slab allocator
> and not in sys_poll(), i.e. to allow general purpose 256K requests, here
> is the patch that does just that (assumes gfp layer "just works" (seems
> to)):

No. IMHO we should avoid allocating more that 4 kB contiguous memory
during regular sys-calls. kmalloc()'s for more than 4 kB should only
happen during system initialization.

--
	Manfred