RE: Why wrapping PIDs is evil [was 32bit]

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 09:54:57 EST

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Helge Hafting wrote:

> Noticing a "clever" hacker, there are other ways than kill. Remove him
> from
> /etc/passwd, move the home directory, zero his disk quota. Temporarily
> firewall
> his IP address or change baud rate on his serial line. Any of this may
> crash
> his exploit. If not - use up all the remaining PID's, then kill the now
> very predictable one. The brave administrator might trash his memory
> through /dev/mem or something. Picking a fight with root is usually not
> a good idea.

Oh, my... Send SIGSTOP to all his processes (after chsh, that is) and
spend ten minutes turning his life into living hell. You have his
mailbox and homedir - what else do you need? su? You got it too, so
what's the problem? Be inventive, there is a lot of ways to make him
_really_ sorry about that ;-)