Re: NWFS 2.0 Binaries Released

From: Martin Bene (mb@sime.com)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 09:36:00 EST

Hi Jeff,

At 21:14 16.01.00 -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>Is there a way with the RAID stuff to concatonate together
>several partitions and make them look like one logical
>partition? We can do this under NT for converting
>multi-segment NetWare volumes to NTFS, and want to do the
>same for EXT2 (we will give this tools away since
>it is on Linux).

Yes, you can: it's called linear raid mode; both the raid stuff currently
in the kernel (raid 0.4?) and the newer 0.90 raid code support this mode.

For the raid code in the kernel use

mdadd /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
mdrun -pl /dev/md0

where /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 are the partitions you want to
concatenate into a logical device.

For the new raid stuff you'd use a /etc/raidtab file to describe the device:

raiddev /dev/md0
    raid-level linear
    nr-raid-disks 3
    nr-spare-disks 0
    persistent-superblock 0
    chunk-size 4

    device /dev/sda1
    raid-disk 0
    device /dev/sdb1
    raid-disk 1
    device /dev/sdc1
    raid-disk 2

and start the raidarray using
raid0run /dev/md0

Both these setups work without using any raid superblocks; advantage:
should work with pre-existing data. disadvantage: neat features like
automatic startup of raid devices by the kernel and finding the partition
regardless of SCSI ID aren't available. (the new raidcode works best if it
can place a 4k datastructure, the raid superblock, at the end of each
partition being part of a raid device).

Bye, Martin

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"
 Martin Bene vox: +43-664-3251047
 simon media fax: +43-316-813824-6
 Andreas-Hofer-Platz 9 e-mail: mb@sime.com
 8010 Graz, Austria