Re: Which sound card

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 19:13:02 EST

> > > $19.00 S3 Sonic Vibes 617 3D sound PCI bus with wavetable.

I've got one of these. We don't support the wavetable, its not ideal as it
has only one dsp

> > > $15.00 Trident 4DW 3D sound 64 voice PCI bus wavetable

Lots of dsp channels, but you need ALSA or a very recent kernel. Excellent
card for the money

> > > $19.00 Ess 938F 3D sound 64 voice PCI bus wavetable

Similar sort of spec to the trident but uglier hardware and a more stable
driver

> > > $25.00 Creative Lab Sound Blaster 16 Vibra PCI

Two dsp channels (often enough - one for esd one for mpg123) works ok.

The trident is IMHO a very nice card, fairly open docs too.

Alan