Re: Which sound card

From: Simon Kirby (sim@stormix.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 20:25:50 EST

> > > $15.00 Trident 4DW 3D sound 64 voice PCI bus wavetable

How is the background noise on this card? I'm a bit skeptical for a $15
card...

I'm looking for something to replace my GUS Classic, now that OSS mmap()
emulation was removed from ALSA, and I can't play Quake and other things
with it anymore.

I resoldered my GUS Classic to remove the final mixer and get direct
preamp output, which made it have very high quality output. With the
card playing nothing or playing silence, I can turn my Pioneer receiver
up to full volume and hear only very slight noise.

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communcations Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]