Re: Xircom PCMCIA

From: Dax Kelson (dax@gurulabs.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 14:42:10 EST

Larry Sendlosky said once upon a time (Mon, 17 Jan 2000):

> Hi,
>
> I don't know what kernel you all are using or PCMCIA code revision
> level. But, on my laptop with RH6.1 (2.2.12-20) and lastest PCMCIA
> code, I too had problems with the modem on my CBEM56G-100 - I just
> couldn't "talk" to the modem. On some other "message board" I found
> the workaround:
>
> % setserial /dev/modem irq 0 # switch to polling
> % setserial /dev/modem irq 3 # back to interrupts
>
> After doing this the modem works just fine! Hopefully this will
> help you (or somebody else).
>
> larry

The problem is a resource issue/bug in the kernel, that kudzu (the new
RedHat 6.1 hardware detection tool) trips. Those resource issues will be
resolved in kernel 2.4.

Kudzu probes for serial ports, and causes problems later when the PCMCIA
code brings up the modem along with a new serial port.

Another "fix" is to edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/kudzu and add "--safe" to the
command line for kudzu.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs