Re: 2.3.40-pre1: Partition Enumeration

From: Giuliano Pochini (pochini@denise.shiny.it)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 10:41:04 EST

> > see, my rootfs switched from /dev/hda6 to /dev/hda12.
>
> This is old-known problem and it seems there is no good solution of it.

We could chance the partition table to hold a name for each partition. Look:

[root@localhost linux]# /sbin/pdisk /dev/sda
Edit /dev/sda -
Command (? for help): p

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sda'
 #: type name length base ( size )
 1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
 2: Apple_Driver43*Macintosh_CharisMac24 32 @ 64
 3: Apple_HFS MacOS 262144 @ 96 (128.0M)
 4: Be_BFS BeOS 524288 @ 262240 (256.0M)
 5: Apple_HFS MacPrgs 1048576 @ 786528 (512.0M)
 6: Be_BFS RobacciaBe 524288 @ 1835104 (256.0M)
 7: Apple_HFS MacOSscratch 1048576 @ 2359392 (512.0M)
 8: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 RobacciaLinux 409600 @ 3407968 (200.0M)
 9: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root 229376 @ 3817568 (112.0M)
10: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 usr 1146880 @ 4046944 (560.0M)
11: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 opt 614400 @ 5193824 (300.0M)
12: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 home 393216 @ 5808224 (192.0M)
13: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 Swap 184256 @ 6201440 ( 90.0M)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=6385696 (3.0G)

So we could access the disk via /disk/<name> instead of /dev/sdxyy. /disk/
should be something virtual like /proc, but I don't know if it can be done.

> I agree with you that this behaviour is bad, but do you have any
> suggestions of solving this problem which do not hit the minor number per
> disk limitations ?

Is it possible to use 32 minors-per-disk instead of 16 ? 32 should be enough
for anyone :)

Bye.