RE: vger rejecting messages from mediaone

From: David Schwartz (davids@webmaster.com)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 15:08:51 EST

> > ORBS was supposed to be a list of CONFIRMED OPEN mail relays.
>
> Exactly.
>
> > Apparently, they have changed their mission without telling anyone.
>
> Hmm. Are you sure that MediaOne was added to ORBS blacklist ?
> It's news to me.

        No, but I am sure that blocks of hosts have been added to the ORBS list
because their provider chose to block the ORBS probes.

[snip]
> ORBS does not do ANYTHING above try to send few LEGAL
> strings to mailservers with LONG delays. So if you block ORBS you deserve
> blocking :-)

        That's not the point. The point is that ORBS claims to be a list of
validated open mail relays, and it's not. It's not supposed to be a list of
people who deserve anything in particular. I'm sure if you talk to the
people who have chosen to block ORBS, you will find that they have their
reasons.

        DS