Re: [Patch] Cleanup struct gendisk registration, 2.3.40-pre1

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 21:28:34 EST

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > I'd much rather this redoing of stuff didnt expand further. The job list
> > is growing not shrinking right now. Its making me jumpy at least.
>
> I'm definitely nervous about growing changes, but at the same time I'd
> hate to say "no" to a pending cleanup of an area that really is a bit too
> tangled, and where a lot of the issues are just shrouded in mystery and
> years of historical reasons..

Eric,

Welcome to the party......

It looks like it is time to clean house on this issue.
I am in, to resolve and contribute for IDE. You name came up before in
another discussion about SCSI I had the other day.

I suggested Linux consider the move to a default packet global block
device layer and both SCSI and IDE plug into it.

I checked with T13 and possed the question of moving all of ATA to ATAPI,
the vice chairman explained to me that the translation lay would be to
thick and involved..........I am game to prove them wrong.........

Your thoughts to merge the two major block subsystems into one...

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:

> Linus, is there any reason to have separate blk_dev_init()?

Entirely due to historical reasons, and I agree with you - you might as
well get rid of it, as it doesn't work with modules.

There _are_ ordering issues, but none that I can imagine being
really relevant.

                Linus