Re: Suggestion: a garbage-collected file system

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 11:43:56 EST

david.madore@ens.fr (David Madore) said:
> Bruce Janson has pointed out to me the following interesting fact:
> whereas some people have been criticizing as "un-unixy" my proposal to
> admit hard links between directories, it was actually permitted in the
> very first versions of Unix, as shown in the following transcript of a
> test I just made:

On some ancient VAX version of Ultrix this was also possible in some cases.
It was useful mostly for creating headaches later on, like undeletable
directories, but unlink worked on directories too... Nice to have if you
managed to loose .. somewhere, though. Mandatory fsck(8) afterwards. If
this "feature" was removed later, it was probably just an oversight (aka
bug). AFAIK, no Unix had other than the current reference counting garbage
collection anyway, without which this won't ever work.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616